A LARGE WINDOW OVER THE SEA
Legend has it that the name Ericeira means, originally "land of hedgehogs", due to the numerous sea urchins that abounded on its beaches. However, more recent investigations point to the hedgehog and not the sea urchin as an inspirer of the name.
The history of Ericeira dates back to around 1000 BC. Its first charter date of 1229 granted by the then Grand Master of the Order of Aviz, Dom Frei Fernão Rodrigues Monteiro, who thus instituted the county of Ericeira.
It is in the charter that the first references to the fishermen of Ericeira appear, being very present the care of the legislator to caution the rights and duties of those who were subject to the guardians of the grantees: "(...) As for the fishermen, give the twentieth part of the fish which they kill in the sea, and of the twelve fish, take one for the pipe before they give the twentieth part, and if they kill the conger, eat it. porpoises and dolphins without hindrance, in times of hunger (...) ".
In 1855, following an administrative reorganization of the territory, the Ericeira left to be county to be in dependence of Mafra, soothes county until the present day.
Let yourself fall in love with Ericeira Village
Savor the Gastronomy
Enjoy the beaches
The King's Escape
The episode of King Manuel II's escape into exile from Praia dos Pescadores in Ericeira became a landmark in the village's history in the last century. It was about three o'clock on October 5, 1910, when D. Manuel II, then twenty years old, accompanied by his mother, Queen D. Amelia and her grandmother, Queen Maria Pia, from Mafra, came by car in the village to embark on the Yacht D. Amelia, fleeing from the republican revolution that had happened the day before in Lisbon. The details of what happened that day in Ericeira are told to us by Julio Ivo, president of the Municipality of Mafra in the time of Sidónio Pais, and that in 1928 he inquired of the population of the village: "(...) the cars stopped and al- the royal family, following from the North Street to the Rua de Baixo, by the narrow lane that connects the two streets, in front of almost the star crossbar ... On entering Rua de Baixo, the Royal Family went in the following order: in front of El-King D. Manuel, then D. Maria Pia, then D. Amélia (...) El-Rei and those who accompanied them went up to the boat, using crates and baskets of fish (...) O and the first boat, Bomfim, carrying the blue and white flag on the stern, went into the water and followed the oars, leading El-Rei (...)
The affluence in the ribas was immense. Everything was silent, but there were tears in many eyes... El-Rei was very pale, D. Amelia was in the mood, Dona Maria Pia, crushed ... Still the boats had not berthed to the yacht, appeared in the village from the side of Sintra, an automobile with civilian revolutionaries, armed with carbines and equipped with bombs, who said they were to shoot for the beach if they had arrived in time for boarding.
Enjoy your stay to visit still ...
Mafra (aprox. 15 min.)
Sintra (aprox. 35 min.)
Lisboa (aprox. 45 min.)
Óbidos (aprox. 1 h)